The age of the professional photographer is over.
The chances are that in your pocket right now is a smartphone with more image processing power than you need.
Remember: your images don’t even have to be that good; providing your images are in keeping with the style and tone of your website, you can’t go far wrong. Nobody is going to scrutinise them.
Even if you don’t have a smartphone, or the inclination to take a photograph, you have several websites to choose from that allow you to download images for free and without the need to credit the photographer (a nice thing to do, but let’s be real – no).
Popular free image websites
How to take good images for your website
- Grab your iPhone or equivalent smartphone
- Turn off the flash
- Find a good source of natural soft light; window light on an overcast day is perfect
- Decide on your orientation (landscape orientation is best)
- Take a load of photographs and select the ones you like
- Crop to taste
- Edit if required (be consistent if you use filters)
- Upload to your website
- Crack open a bottle of your favourite juice
Really useful and beautiful image editing apps
- JPEG Mini is a magic treat as it allows you to dramatically reduce the image’s file size without affecting the physical size of the image. Don’t ask me how. Smaller file sizes mean a faster loading website, which means users love you more, and so will Google
- VSCO is great for filters, but go steady and be consistent. This does not mean use the same filter for each image
- Over is a beautiful app (and now a desktop version) that allows you to get incredibly creative, adding graphics and text to images